(Marge checking out the basket)i slacked last week with a recipe, so i am doing 3 for this week (sad, i can't even be consistent for a few months!). Fortunately this was also the perfect opportunity to do a few things at once b/c we had our friends Monet and Andrew over for Top Chef (restaurant wars!) and dinner.
- 4 1/2 c water or broth
- 1-1 1/2 c coarse cornmeal/polenta
- olive oil, a few tbs
- various fresh herbs
- tomato sauce and herbs/spices that you like with sauce AND/OR
- zucchini and sliced leeks (put you can use other veggies if you want, this is what we had)
(mixing the veggies for baking)first i prepped the leeks and zucchini, mixed them in a bowl with olive oil, spicy salt and a little pepper (you can use garlic if you want), put them on a baking sheet and put in a 350 oven for 20-30 min.
boil the water/broth. slowly whisk the polenta in. at this point, you need to be on it-it gets thick fast and you don't want it to burn or burn you right? you will also have to quickly switch mixing items-use a wooden spoon. once it thickens, add some olive oil and the fresh herbs. the entire cooking time should be between 15 and 20 min.
spread on a baking sheet (i used a large la chamba dish) and put in the fridge to cool.
(pay attention now)once firm, cut into desired shape and grill them!
top with veggies, pesto and/or tom sauce-add cheese on top if you want.
(ready for grilling)
(this recipe is slightly altered from the one on allrecipes.com)
- 2-3 soft persimmons, pureed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cane or white sugar
- 1/2 cup soft unsalted butter
- 1 cup raisins, nuts or both or other dried fruit
bowl #1: blend b.soda in persimmon puree. bowl #2: sift flour, spices and salt. bowl #3: cream butter with sugar and egg.
add bowl #1 to bowl #3-mix. slowly add bowl #2 to #3, add nuts/dried fruit.
spoon on a cookie sheet for 15 min.
these cookies are GOOD!